There is no doubt that regular breast examinations are crucial in the fight against breast cancer. Every year, breast cancer awareness campaigns are held in the month of October to help and guide women in the fight against the disease. Featured below are some interesting facts on NBCAM, the biggest breast cancer awareness campaign in the United States.
1. History: The National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM) is an effort that was jointly launched by the American Cancer Society and Imperial Chemical Industries (currently a part of AstraZeneca) way back in 1985. NBCAM’s main objective is to highlight the importance of mammography in fighting breast cancer.
2. How pink became associated with breast cancer awareness: In 1991, the Susan G. Komen Foundation distributed pink ribbons among participants in the New York City race for breast cancer survivors. Two years later, Evelyn Lauder of the Estée Lauder Companies launched a campaign involving pink ribbons as well, thus giving the color much needed importance.
3. National Mammography Day: Every October, the third Friday is observed as National Mammography Day. This day was launched by former President Clinton in 1993. Women generally keep their mammography appointments on this day. In 2013, National Mammography Day falls on October 19.
4. Celebrities associated with NBCAM: Several women have lent their voice and support to help spread the message against breast cancer. They include Edna Campbell (former basketball star), Ann Jillian (television/movie actress) and Betty Rollin (author and former TV correspondent).
5. Effectiveness of NBCAM: Every year since 1985 when the NBCAM was launched, there has been steady reports of breast cancer diagnoses in the month of November. This clearly points to the effectiveness of the NBCAM in October.
If you represent a company or institution, you too can be a part of the drive against breast cancer. All you have to do is go for pink-themed promotional items with your logo imprinted on them. You will gain a lot of goodwill and some quality visibility. Check out Promo Direct range of breast cancer awareness items here.